Saturday 2 September 2017

Over Hill and Dale

I didn't manage to get a game in this week as Mick was feeling under the weather so the planned SAGA clash had to be called off. This did however leave me with extra time to crack on with the terrain making.

The finished set

I was surprised at how easy and cheap it was to make a decent looking set of terrain just using some blue foam and MDF sheets from Ebay and the flock and sand I already had to making multi-bases. I suspect you could pick the bits up even cheaper if you didn't mind going out to a local hardware store.


The set consists of several hills and some area terrain pieces and several soft and hard terrain markers that can be placed on the them. The gaps are all 50mm so I have been using 45mm bases to construct the markers on and if another type needs to be constructed it should be easy enough to expand the range.



For the hills I put a lip around the bottom of the production pieces which was missing on the prototype. This should help to reduce storage damage and also helped with the modelling of little land-slips. I still have a few sheets of the blue foam left over so again if I think of some more pieces I want then I have the spares all ready.





The rocky terrain markers are made from the blue foam off-cuts painted grey and then given a healthy coat of Army Painter Quickshade. Again very quick to do and looks good with a minimal effort required, just the sort of modelling I like.

As I was feeling inspired I also decided to put together a water feature ( Alan Titchmarsh would be proud ) having spotted some lovely little chaps on the Mastercrafted website. The base was constructed from MDF and then built up with Polyfilla. It now just needs filling with layers of still water.




Talking of inspiration, one of the things I enjoy about wargames is looking at the new models coming out and sometimes you cannot help but be inspired to build an army around the superb figures being produced. My eye ( and heart ) has been caught by some new models from the Wrath of Kings range that should be hitting the UK soon.



The elephants look fantastic and would I think look great charging across the table, perhaps the starting place for another Kings of War army.

2 comments:

  1. What glue are you using for the flock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal PVA glue to stick the flock down and then once that is dry I have sprayed it with watered down PVA to make sure it stays place ( cross fingers ).

      Delete